For those of us who enjoy slapping on make-up on our face, we know just how much of a chore it can be to wipe everything off after a long day (or night). Granted, it does happen from time to time when we’re really exhausted and just K.O. upon reaching home. Guilty as charged! However, commit this beauty crime ever so often and things aren’t going to look too good for your skin and health. Just like this lady who almost became blind because she never removed her mascara before sleeping for – wait for it – 25 years! That’s really long!
Theresa Lynch, a mother-of-two from Sydney, Australia, reportedly suffered from a “heavy sensation in her eyelids, pain, eye irritation and discharge” before the doctor told her that she had “hard calcified bumps” (aka concretions) under her eyelids, reported News.com.au.
This condition, which was caused by 25 years of using heavy make-up and rarely removing it, eventually posed a threat to her vision. She could have lost her sight! Thus, to remove the lumps, Theresa had to undergo a 90-minute procedure with a general anaesthetic. After her recovery, Theresa and her doctor, Dr Dana Robaei released some gory images of her condition to spread awareness of the dangers of leaving mascara on overnight. Please take note, ladies!
Theresa was quoted as saying, “They were embedded so deep that particles were building up on top of each other. I was so uncomfortable. My eyelids were swollen and heavy because I left it for so long.” “When Dr Robaei pulled my eyelid back, she said: ‘Oh my god. In my whole career I have never seen anything like this’.” “She could see the whites of my eyes were glassy and bloodshot.” “I was shocked. I thought I had done permanent damage to my eyelid and I would never get back to normal.” “I had fallen into a bad habit of wearing a lot of make-up and not washing it off. I should never have let it get this far.” “It’s so important to properly take your make-up off every single night. You can’t miss a single day.”
Soon after, Dr Robaei published a study on Theresa’s injuries as she claimed that it was rare whilst stating that Theresa could have gone blind because of it. She explained that this case could raise awareness about the “hidden dangers of the everyday beauty product”. “Every time Theresa was blinking, these bumps were rubbing on the surface of the eye and they pose a risk to her vision.” “If the scratch on the surface of the eye got infected, there is a risk this could be potentially blinding, but that would be rare.” “It was certainly disabling. She has suffered permanent scarring on her eyelid and the surface of her cornea,” said Dr Robeai.